Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sunday July 9 2006
Firecracker 100
Greenville IL

This ride is called the Firecracker, I imagine because of it being right after the 4th of July and normally it is really hot.

The weather was great for a ride. It rained a little but not enough to spoil the fun and the cloud cover gave us a rest from the heat. This ride was the day after the donut ride and a few of us from the donut ride woke up early and rode the country side of Greenville Illinois. Joe S., Virgil, John, Michele and Joe P. were in attendance. I arrived late and didn't ride with our group. I don't recommend this to anyone. If you ride a pretty fast race or ride one day and plan to ride a century the next day make sure you have someone to ride it with.

Riding by myself, I was continually thinking of the bad parts of the ride. Especially after 70 miles or so. The ride was great, there was enough hills to make it interesting, no dogs and the scenery was beautiful. But I got into a funk and couldn't see anything but the uphill climbs and the rough road. I did suck on to a couple of pace lines and rode with some really nice people. It took my mind off how tired I was, but it would have been better. I am going to make a point of riding with someone next time.

Enough complaining.

First off, I forgot my computer...

I don't know my times and distance from my computer but I took my time off the time sheet and the distance off the trip sheet and figured out the speed etc.

The scenery was great. This is a little country side church...


We rode on several small highways most of the time but traffic was not a problem...


Nothing but corn and clouds...


About 80 miles in I broke the pad on my aero bar...



Finally finished...


Once I finished I found Joe S, John, Michele and Virgil. They started out about a half an hour before me and I almost caught them. It wasn't because I rode so much faster, they rode 100 miles and I only rode 96. The course was set up for only 96.

My stats: Tm: 5.41, Dst: 96, Avs: 16.89

Not bad for a 96 mile ride the day after a 31 mile race.

No comments: