Monday, April 24, 2006

Sunday, April 23rd, Earth Day.

What a wonderful day for an early morning ride! It was in the low 60's and just a slight breeze, and the sun was out. There was a storm that stayed out to the South West until well after we finished. I actually started clouding over where we were in the parking lot after the ride but It didn't rain and I was able to drive home the whole way with the top down and I didn't get wet.

It was the annual Hostelling International "Spring Chicken" ride in St. Libory Illinois. There was a great turn out. When we got to the parking lot at the American Legion Hall there was a parking attendant and we all laughed at him for wanting us to park close together. When we finished I was surprised that there was so many people there. I guess they came for the chicken. There is a restaurant in St. Libory called amazingly enough "Chicken" that is supposed to have great fried chicken. I haven't tried it yet. Someday...

Well, our group consisted of some of the usual suspects, Tom, Dave and Brian and we had Jeff join us who is a friend of Brian's and Dave's. We also had Craig join us. Criag is someone who Dave and Brian met on a ride on Saturday, he lives in the neighborhood and is an avid cyclist. He complimented us on pushing him to ride fast but we all were trying to keep up with him. I guess its a male thing, to see who can stay at the front. Anyway we arrived around 8:30 am and rode just under 44 miles, avs 17.8, my max speed was 27 and the time was 2 hrs and 27 min. It was a great ride for us all.

We talked about a name and some team shirts for our little group. We are getting to be a big enough group to get shirts and look impressive on our rides. The only name submitted so far was "Road Warriors" or "Rode Warriors" I'm not sure which spelling Tom was suggesting.

Joe and Joey were busy this weekend so they didn't join us, they were missed. And I have to say, we are missing Kate. She hasn't rode with us in a while and we need that equilibrium of a woman in the group...the yin and yang thing...

Tom took pictures again and once I figure out how to post them I will start...

No comments: