Tuesday, May 23, 2006




May 20th 2006
Indian Crossing Century
Portage Des Sioux MO

Our first century of the year and Tom and I did our best.

We started out at 7:00am at the check-in, we got our time cards (HI was timing the event) and lunch tickets. It was a little chilly but we both wore only jerseys and shorts. It was a little breezy and the wind stayed with us all day. The wind made it a little tough in the last thirty miles, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The course was two loops a larger one for the morning, 65 miles and one that was smaller but covered much of the same territory for the afternoon for 36 miles. Tom and I started out very strong. We were riding at a 19 to 22 mile per hour pace most of the time. We drafted each other some of the time but for most of it we rode side by side and talked. We commented that it seemed a little too easy. I picked up some GU from Maplewood Cyclery and some of Jelly Bellys new sport jelly beans, Tom and I kept our energy levels "up" and after about 40 miles we were averaging almost 19 mph! We caught a pace line after a rest stop at about 45 miles and were cruising at 23mph for at least ten miles. A couple of these guys were really big. Probably six five and well over 200 lbs. They were wearing Discovery team shirts and some other yellow jerseys but they seemed to be very used to riding together. We stayed with them until a turn where I got behind and lost the line and Tom slowed so I wouldn't be by myself. We rode at a more reasonable pace for me until another pace line lead by a tandem passed us and we caught it but once again I couldn't keep up. Tom stayed with them this time, we were about three miles from the finish.

My 65 mile stats were; 18.4 avs and time; 3 hrs 34 mins. Pretty good for the first big ride.

We then had lunch which was sandwiches, potato salad, chips and cookies and after we set out to finish this bad boy and claim our patches.

Well, I knew I was in trouble right away. When we got out away from town we turned directly into the wind. It wasn't too strong but it was enough to hurt.

The afternoon loop was 36 miles and kinda inside the morning loop. So Tom and I started a pace and drafted each other for a little while but I felt better at a 18 mph pace and I know Tom was itching to go faster. I caught some other riders going closer to my pace and told Tom not to wait for me. We split up about ten miles into the second part of the ride. I think we ended up riding by ourselves for most of the last part of the ride. I ended up 15 minutes behind Tom which is a pretty big difference.

The roads were great, smooth, not too much traffic, flat. The weather was great, just enough sun and not too hot. The sights were great. All-in-all it was a great ride and I'd do it again, all except for the last half mile. At the end of the ride, at one hundred and one miles the ride organizer took us past a monument at the river front to see the river in all its splendor and then you were to take a u-turn and go back to the start. I couldn't believe we were riding down to the river! All I want to do after I hit the one hundred mile mark is finish, and get off my bike. If they had put the scenic part in the middle it would have been more appealing.

Oh well enough, the stats are as follows:

Tom, 102 miles, 18.5 avs, riding time 5 hours, 31 minutes

Joe, 102 miles, 17.6 avs, riding time 5 hours, 45 minutes.

The official times will be posted on Hostelling International's web site. I'll try to remember to post them.

And one last thought, I wonder what times the guy in the backround of the picture turned in...

No comments: